Cathedral Place

A partnership with the Anglican Diocese of Niagara and Ottawa, Ontario-based Windmill Developments, Cathedral Place began as an assessment of possible uses for the parking lot behind Hamilton’s historic Christ’s Church Cathedral.

The cost of maintaining the Cathedral – built in 1835 and now the second oldest Anglican cathedral in Canada – had become overwhelming for the congregation, which sought a solution that was unobtrusive to the historic character of the site.

dpai and Windmill’s proposal consists of new office units, with an integrated daycare facility and commercial space fronting the desirable James North arts district. An 83-unit condominium block rises above the old parking lot, massed in such a way that is obliging to the Cathedral’s landmark status